Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sustainability-Joe Mideros

I think Joe had a lot of interesting things to say on the subject. Our recourses are obviously not being handled on a level that is sufficient. Even if they were though, who's to say we can't keep making improvements. Slow, steady and constant improvements are the key in my opinion. My grandfather once gave me this long rant about how modern America is a reactionary society. We wait till we're sick to go to the doctor instead of eating healthy foods so we don't get sick in the first place, we spend our money till we run low and then panic and try to get more back instead of conserving it to begin with. The more I hear, the more I believe him. Even now as the worlds oceans are irreparably contaminated, landfills are full and resources low, it seems America will wait until they've run our resources into the ground before they take action and by then it maybe to late. A change needs to occur, we as a society need to begin to walk down the path that recycles, conserves and replaces conventional resources. Overpopulation is a major stepping stone in this though it may prove to be the most difficult. I am personally not opposed to China's 2 child policy, but I am curious how they enforce it. What punishment could you construct that would be effective to the degree that it would not be worth having a child, while at the same time not crossing a moral line? I'd appreciate any feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment