Sunday, May 3, 2009

Zer0 Waste

When Gary came in to talk about waste I figured it would be at least a little repetitive. I mean we've been talking about waste throughout the coarse of this entire class. I had heard of the jobs recycling has to offer and I had heard of companies attempts to "go green". I didn't realize how far he was going to take it though. Although such predictions are inaccurate at best, the concept that we will have absolutely no waste by 2040 peaked my interest despite myself. 30 years and we can really have absolutely no waste? That seems a worthy goal to me. Of coarse in 1989 the film "Back to the Future 2" predicted that 30 years in the future "this year" we'd have pill meals and flying cars, so I can't help but wonder how far we will go. Then again they couldn't even imagine Global Positioning Units and Cellular Phones. Maybe will will reach this astonishing landmark in human history. Maybe we will find a way to depend on what we already have without need for further consumption, maybe after that we'll even have ways to return some of what was taken. I can't say anymore than Hollywood could back in 1989 but I can say that I find it to be a worthy goal and that this speech has inspired me to work to attain this goal. For the good of our people and our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment